Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
CHARTER OF THE NOMINATING AND
CORPORATE GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE
OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF
AMERICAN EQUITY INVESTMENT LIFE HOLDING COMPANY
ADOPTED AS OF APRIL 5, 2004
The purposes of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee (the "Committee") of the Board of Directors (the "Board") of American Equity Investment Life Holding Company (the "Corporation") shall be to identify and to recommend to the Board individuals qualified to serve as directors of the Corporation; to oversee the Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) succession planning process; to develop and recommend to the Board a set of corporate governance principles applicable to the Corporation; and to oversee the evaluation of the Board and the Corporation's management.
The Committee shall consist of two (2) or more directors, as determined from time to time by the Board. Each member of the Committee shall be qualified to serve on the Committee pursuant to the requirements of the New York Stock Exchange (the “NYSE”), and any additional requirements that the Board deems appropriate.
The chairperson of the Committee shall be designated by the Board, provided that if the Board does not so designate a chairperson, the members of the Committee, by a majority vote, may designate a chairperson.
Any vacancy on the Committee shall be filled by majority vote of the Board. No member of the Committee shall be removed except by majority vote of the Board.
The Committee shall meet as often as it determines necessary to carry out its duties and responsibilities, but no less frequently than once annually. The Committee, in its discretion, may ask members of management or others to attend its meetings (or portions thereof) and to provide pertinent information as necessary.
A majority of the members of the Committee present in person or by means of a conference telephone or other communications equipment by means of which all persons participating in the meeting can hear each other shall constitute a quorum.
The Committee shall maintain minutes of its meetings and records relating to those meetings and shall report regularly to the Board on its activities, as appropriate.
A. Board Candidates and Nominees
The Committee shall have the following duties and responsibilities with respect to Board candidates and nominees:
- To assist in identifying candidates to fill positions on the Board, including persons suggested by stockholders or others.
- To review the background and qualifications of individuals being considered as director candidates. Among the qualifications considered in the selection of candidates, the Committee shall look at the following attributes and criteria of candidates: experience, skills, expertise, diversity, personal and professional integrity, character, business judgment, time availability in light of other commitments, dedication, conflicts of interest and such other relevant factors that the Committee considers appropriate in the context of the needs of the Board.
- To recommend to the Board the director nominees for election by the stockholders or appointment by the Board, as the case may be, pursuant to the Bylaws of the Corporation, which recommendations shall be consistent with the criteria for selecting directors established by the Board from time to time.
B. Corporate Governance
The Committee shall develop and recommend to the Board a set of corporate governance principles for the Corporation, which shall be consistent with any applicable laws, regulations and listing standards.
C. CEO Succession Planning
The Committee shall have the following responsibilities with respect to the CEO succession planning process:
- To provide input on the required and preferred characteristics of the Chief Executive Officer successor.
- To review with the Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Human Resources Officer potential internal and external successors and action plans for internal candidate development.
- To adopt a CEO Emergency Succession Plan and oversee implementation of such plan, if necessary.
D. Evaluation of the Board and Management
The Committee shall be responsible for overseeing the evaluation of the Board as a whole and management.
The Committee shall, on an annual basis, evaluate its performance. The evaluation may address any matters that the Committee considers relevant to its performance, and shall be conducted in such manner as the Committee deems appropriate.
The Committee may conduct or authorize investigations into or studies of matters within the Committee's scope of responsibilities, and may retain, at the Corporation's expense, such independent counsel or other consultants or advisers as it deems necessary. The Committee shall have the authority to retain or terminate any search firm to be used to identify director and CEO candidates, including authority to approve the search firm's fees and other retention terms, such fees to be borne by the Corporation.
- Financial Expert
- Independent Director